Sunday, March 8, 2009

Worshiping the Wrong God

The bible makes reference to a god with the name of Mammon. Mammon is the god of money, wealth and luxury. Many of you have heard me refer to him in adult-ed because it seems so obvious that America has been worshiping this god for quite some time...and in the process have lost our fear of God and love for Christ.

As I was reading devotions this morning I came across this passage from Isaiah 57:11-13;

11 Whom did you dread and fear, so that you lied,and did not remember me, did not lay it to heart?
Have I not held my peace, even for a long time, and you do not fear me?
12I will declare your righteousness and your deeds, but they will not profit you.
13 When you cry out, let your collection of idols deliver you! The wind will carry them off, a breath will take them away.
But he who takes refuge in me shall possess the land and shall inherit my holy mountain.

As I reflect on the last months of the falling stock market and the potential collapse of our financial system, I see verse 11. Who have we dreaded and feared??

As a country, who are we crying out to for deliverance?? It would appear we are crying out for our financial markets to "recover" (Mammon! Please come back!)....to come back and give us that "security" we had when our houses were worth $600,000, our 401(k)'s were worth twice as much, and the stock market just kept going up for almost 25 years with just some minor hiccups. Will our financial system deliver us?? Or will the wind simply carry it off?

As a nation, our only long term hope is that we will repent and turn from our wicked ways...only then will God heal our land.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home