Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Why Study Prophecy?

I actually get this question a lot. Lot's of people I talk to don't like to dwell on prophecy since a lot of it is has to do with death, destruction and judgement....they would prefer something a little more "fun"....so they stay away from it. I disagree strongly with this thought since Paul clearly tells us to, "Encourage each other with these words". There is real peace in knowing the future as the bible lays it out.

Others tell me that Christ is coming like a thief in the night....so we will all be clueless...so why bother spending even a second contemplating what is to come? If that's the case, why do you think Jesus told us to, "Watch!" at the end of Mark 13? Also, how would you reconcile that with 1 Thessalonians 5:4 which says, "But you brothers are not in darkness that this day should surprise you like a thief." Clearly, those who are watching, as Christ commands, will be tipped off to the closeness of His return for us.

Also, I love Chuck Missler's quote and have used it quite a few times; "When you see the stores decorating for Christmas...you know that Thanksgiving is close". In the same way...when you see the world stage being decorated for The Tribulation....you know that the rapture (being caught up) has to be close.

Those reasons should be enough to get you started thinking, but Jack Kelly digs in even deeper.

And that leads me to what I think is the biggest reason. For that we'll go first to Isaiah 44:6-8.
This is what the LORD says- Israel's King and Redeemer, the LORD Almighty: "I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God. Who then is like me? Let him proclaim it. Let him declare and lay out before me what has happened since I established my ancient people, and what is yet to come- yes, let him foretell what will come. Do not tremble, do not be afraid. Did I not proclaim this and foretell it long ago? You are my witnesses. Is there any God besides me? No, there is no other Rock; I know not one."


Powerful words from Isaiah.

And I resonate strongly with his last paragraph. Prophecy helps us to get a sense of urgency to "snatch people from the fire"...before it's too late.

If you're not every bit as certain as I am about God, then try a study in prophecy. I bet it'll galvanize you into action just as it did me, especially as you begin to understand how little time is left. And even if you're already sure you know who God is, you still have a great reason to study prophecy. But it's not just so you'll be better informed about what's coming. It's so you'll feel the urgency to tell your friends about it while there's still time. Because if you listen carefully, you can almost hear the footsteps of the Messiah.

Read his full article here; http://raptureready.com/featured/kelley/jack79.html

Even so...come Lord Jesus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home