Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Bethlehem in Prophecy

 The Jews knew their savior would be born in Bethlehem.  The prophet Micah clearly said this almost 700 years before Jesus was born.  Bethlehem literally means “house of bread”, and ephrathah means “fruitful”.

Micah 5

“But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah,
    though you are small among the clans[b] of Judah,
out of you will come for me
    one who will be ruler over Israel,
whose origins are from of old,
    from ancient times.”

The Jews rejected Him because he was meek and mild and they were expecting a ruler who would lead them out of bondage by kicking some Roman butt and make Israel a leading nation in the world.

Micah 5


10 “In that day,” declares the Lord,

“I will destroy your horses from among you
    and demolish your chariots.
11 I will destroy the cities of your land
    and tear down all your strongholds.
12 I will destroy your witchcraft
    and you will no longer cast spells.
13 I will destroy your idols
    and your sacred stones from among you;
you will no longer bow down
    to the work of your hands.
14 I will uproot from among you your Asherah poles[e]
    when I demolish your cities.
15 I will take vengeance in anger and wrath
    on the nations that have not obeyed me.”


They were blinded and couldn’t understand that the Messiah would come first as the suffering, lamb of God to take away the sin of the world, but would come again as judge and ruler of the world.  This will continue for Israel until the “fullness of the gentiles come in”.

So out of the place that King David was from, a fruitful place (Bethlehem) gave us all the Bread of Life.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home